It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Sat Nov 24 14:52:39 UTC 2018

On Friday, 23 November 2018 at 23:49:16 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 11/23/2018 4:59 AM, Chris wrote:

> Fixing autodecode will break about everything. But you don't
> like breaking changes.
>
> What do you suggest?

If you put it this way, as you tend to, of course, I look like a
lunatic. The breaking changes I don't like (and no-one does) are
changes that seem completely random to the user. Normal,
"innocent" code just breaks. It may be, because you're preparing
feature X that will be available in a year or so and in order for
it to work old code has to be sacrificed. If changes need to be
made, let's do them in a sensible manner and not just walk over
ordinary users' code. I'm under the impression that a fancy
feature counts more than code stability ("Let the rabble clean up
their code, we are pursuing a higher goal.")

autodecode, however, is a different beast. It is an essential
flaw and thus needs to be tackled (or D will be forever flawed).
I've proposed a transition via a dual system (legacy / new). It
could be a switch like "-autodecode=off". No code needs to break,
but those that are willing to make the transition could go ahead.
The transition could be documented and there could be an
automated tester that tells users later where / how much of their
code would break and how to fix it, if they turn autodecode off.

But autodecode is not even open for discussion anymore.