It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

Grumpy grumpy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:00:44 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 24 November 2018 at 17:37:36 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 03:19:26PM +0000, Chris via
> Digitalmars-d wrote: [...]
>> I don't understand how things are prioritized in D. Basic and
>> important things seem to be at the bottom of the list (XML
>> parser), other things get huge attention while they are of
>> dubious value to many users. This is why I don't completely
>> buy the "we don't have enough resources" argument. The scarce
>> resources you have are not used wisely in my opinion. And it
>> is a pity when I see that D has loads of potential (C/C++
>> interop, Objective-C interop etc.) but other new languages
>> overtake D because they focus on practical issues too.
> [...]
>
> You have to understand that D is an open source project run by
> volunteers, not a for-profit organization that can afford to
> pay people to tell them what to do. Well, with the D foundation
> setup now, I suppose we could begin to pay some people to work
> on stuff (and we have).  But with a budget of barely over 1K
> per month, the bulk of the work is still done by unpaid
> volunteers who contribute purely out of their own initiative.
> Demanding that volunteers work on tasks that you deem important
> is about as effective as herding cats.  This is not to excuse
> the state of things in any way, but it's just a realistic
> evaluation of the actual situation.

this concept was repeated until the nausea ...

> Even though Walter and Andrei serve as BDFL and visionary
> leaders,

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This is the point! They are considered leaders and ARE NOT
leaders! Nobody asks that they give orders, a leader is asked to
give a direction, a VISION!

> they can no more order any of us to do anything than a random
> stranger from the street can dictate to you how you ought to
> spend your free time. They can't just "use our resources"
> however they want, because this isn't a top-down organization
> where the higher ups assign tasks to the lower downs.
> This is really what we mean when we say "if you want X to
> change, do it yourself" or "be the change that you want to
> see".  It should not be misconstrued as writing anyone off, an
> excuse for laziness, or being dismissive of newcomers.  Rather,
> it's an open invitation to participate in the gathering of
> peers, to have a hand in producing something we hope and
> believe will be wonderful.
> Whether you accept the invitation or not is really up to you --
> it's not a demand, but just an invitation. If you see the value
> in D, and if you feel you can contribute something useful, then
> you will be welcomed.  But if you expect to tell others what to
> do while not contributing anything yourself, then don't be
> surprised if you get the same reactions you might give when a
> random stranger walks up to you and starts dictating how you
> ought to be spending your free time.

Nothing is more effective than the example, to motivate!

Since the transparency of the leaders and the foundation is very
bad, let's look a little bit more about what secret strategy they
are concentrating on:

Walter, months to convert the backend from C ++ to D, be careful,
in a compiler in which you can not even turn on the GC, what a
show, pride for the D programming language! Should we talk about
the DIP1000 documentation?

Andrei: https://github.com/andralex
Need to add more? More than a gatekeeper, this is a solid brick
wall.

With these examples, the problem is the lack of contributions?

This is pure collective madness.