It is the year 2020: why should I use / learn D?

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 18:01:08 UTC 2018

On Monday, 26 November 2018 at 10:19:14 UTC, Chris wrote:
> I may well be that Walter and other core devs really feel that
> they are making great progress when porting DMD to D and stuff
> like that.

Actually D had postponed porting from C++ to D for a long time.
Other languages like nim and jai from beginning had their
implementation done in itself. Secondly translating was done with
a tool and my guess didnt took much of work for DMD backend. Well
compared to what would it take to make android app development
easy. Thirdly compiler being in D means more people from
community can participate in compiler development. I started
twiddling with compiler because it was mostly in D and would not
touched it if it was in C++.

> Indeed, their own projects might be emotionally rewarding and
> trigger feelings of euphoria.

Its clear you havent read single whitepaper on behavioral
psychology or neuroscience.

> A project like D cannot survive if it's only driven by personal
> preferences.

The good thing is that its not only driven by personal
preference. Now we have d foundation and companies who sponsor
work on libraries like Symmetry Investments. This trend will only
increase but not at the speed you or I want.

> In my own job I sometimes work on interesting and emotionally
> rewarding stuff, but I also have to do the head wrecking and
> boring stuff that may not even be related to writing code -
> boring but necessary.

You compare open source with for profit company again. We all do
boring but necessary stuff in paid jobs. Your not exception. What
matters here is that you expect other people who worked 8h of
boring stuff to go home and work on more boring stuff for free.
These kind of people are rare and you are not one of them
yourself.

> It's not just a question of the - by now famous - $1,600 a
> month. I've seen other open source projects thrive because of a
> different community culture.

Stop being vague and start naming open source projects that are
as big scope as D and thrive without corporate sponsorship. We
might learn something.

> it takes ages to get a review / accepted, then why bother?

You would be surprised what a little bit of money can change and
Nicholas already doing good work
https://www.flipcause.com/secure/cause_pdetails/NDUwNTY=

Oh and about fixing autodecode https://youtu.be/Lo6Q2vB9AAg?t=4044