Clojure and Pull Request Controversy

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Nov 28 11:29:58 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 28 November 2018 at 00:12:15 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> The issue of prioritization of reviewing PRs, etc, perennially
> comes up and has done so again recently:
>
> https://digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/It_is_the_year_2020_why_should_I_use_learn_D_321380.html#N321572
>
> It seems we're not the only group struggling with this issue.
> Food for thought, and some controversy:
>
> https://gist.github.com/richhickey/1563cddea1002958f96e7ba9519972d9

I sincerely hope you don't identify with the OP.

> https://gist.github.com/halgari/c17f378718cbd2fd82324002133ef678#gistcomment-2768338

I'm quoting the comments, because the links under "Copy link"
didn't work.

"[...] Yes, of course everything you said is technically correct.
You don't owe anyone anything. But you don't have to be so
petulant about it. Saying that users aren't even entitled to an
explanation of why they're not entitled to support is childish in
the extreme, particularly because your own company and livelihood
are heavily dependent upon the work that some of those users gave
you for free.
[...]
I do appreciate that you're making your position very clear -
hopefully this can help projects and companies make
better-informed decisions about whether they want to be locked in
to a project that operates this way. Just dial it back a bit, eh?"
-- briangordon

"Open source may be a gift, but it doesn't come with batteries
included, and so there's a cost for adopting such a "gift." If
you want people to use your software, closed- or open-source, you
do need to make it worth their time and show some basic decency
to your users."
-- tommyettinger

You cannot say "We need help, we're a small community!" and then
when people step up and do help say "Who are you anyway? You're
not entitled to anything!"

And as regards adopting the software, when you read this thread

https://forum.dlang.org/post/ljrm0d$28vf$1@digitalmars.com

you will not even think twice about whether or not to adopt it,
you just run away. Ironically enough, it was about the time the
post about "more radical ideas" was posted that I was beginning
to feel very uneasy with D.

Yesterday I was innocently thinking if and how LDC+Android could
be integrated into Android Studio via CMake etc., but then it
occurred to me that even if I / we succeeded in doing so, the D
code itself might still break anytime, because of "more radical
ideas". Maybe D should be rebranded as "Minefield".