Clojure and Pull Request Controversy

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 14:58:49 UTC 2018

On 11/29/18 9:11 AM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
> I think deprecating the auto decoding free functions with a message to
> use `.byChar`, `.byDchar`,`.representation` etc. is really the _only_
> practical way forward on this. Yes its slow but it won't cause any
> breakage. Certainly not silent breakage, deprecation being rather noisy.

When I have free time, I'm going to do all this shit. I'm so sick of
autodecoding, and I have a feeling it will break so little code*, that
we are wringing our hands over nothing.

-Steve

* The big irony of autodecoding is that literally most of Phobos
SPECIFICALLY avoids autodecoding carefully because it's such a
performance problem. Removing autodecoding will still work with such
workarounds.