Clojure and Pull Request Controversy

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 20:25:02 UTC 2018

On 11/29/18 2:54 PM, 12345swordy wrote:
> On Thursday, 29 November 2018 at 18:40:13 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
>> On Thursday, 29 November 2018 at 18:33:07 UTC, 12345swordy wrote:
>>> You need one if you want to deprecate a language feature. There is no
>>> alternative afaik.
>>
>> autodecode is not a language feature. It is a library function that is
>> only called by other library functions.
>
> Yet everyone here acts like it is a major deprecation, with different
> opinions on how to handle it.

It is a major deprecation. The largest problem would be that strings all
of a sudden would have an element type of char. I still think Phobos
will handle this properly (or can be made to quite easily), but other
code might not be so lucky.

But I don't know whether it requires a DIP or not. In any case, I'm
going to try removing it and see what breaks. If the PR to "remove
autodecode" from Phobos isn't that hairy, it may put a different light
on what breakage may happen.

-Steve