Origins of the D Programming Language

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Nov 30 23:12:57 UTC 2018

Some good comments!

On 11/30/2018 2:23 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> And, it says early history is lost because of no version control. This is
> basically false - the changelog goes all the way back and contains zips of
> binaries and source of most those versions, the oldest being dmd 0.50 from Nov
> 20, 2002.

By early history, I meant before 0.50.

A peculiar thing about my memory is I remember events and such, but do not
recall when those events happened, unless there is some sort of anchor
associated with it. In going through old emails, logs, etc., to attach dates to
memories I was surprised at the actual order of things.

My father kept a diary of his WW2 experience. He told me that decades later, he
read it and was shocked at how it contradicted his memories.

Github is such an indispensable tool. It's great for collaborative development,
but nobody mentions how awesome it is to establish a provenance for when changes
were made and by whom. It ends the legal challenges I've had in the past trying
to prove that someone had stolen code from me, when in fact they had stolen it
from me.

(Just last month, having a registered copyright of the source code to Empire
from 1978 saved my bacon yet again.)