Warn on unused imports?

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Oct 1 20:44:32 UTC 2018

> On Monday, October 1, 2018 12:36:49 PM MDT Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> Yes, that's exactly what warnings are for. If people need to treat them
>> differently than that (ex: C++), that's a failing of the language.
>
> As soon as warnings are part of the build process,

Nobody said anything about making them part of the build process. We're
talking about them being included in the compiler, not about them being
in the build process. Please don't move the goalposts.

>> Plus, other warnings (like deprecations, for example) which have proven
>> extremely helpful would have been a major problem had they been outright
>> errors.
>
> Technically, deprecations aren't warnings, and dmd treats them quite
> differently. They aren't affected by either -wi or -w, and from a semantic
> perspective, they're completely different.

That is purely playing around with word semantics. Deprecations in DMD
are a non-fatal message about something that might need fixed sooner or
later. That is what a warning is. Implementation details do nothing to
change that.