Please don't do a DConf 2018, consider alternatives

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 15:03:45 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 2 October 2018 at 14:49:31 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> I believe it would be a mistake to drop DConf.

What about we design a DConf that focuses on interactive
collaboration instead of sitting passively in a room watching
someone talk over a slideshow?

When Joakim talked about this the last time, I was just getting
home from a work trip that got 30 people from the company - who
usually work online - together in person. We had very few talks
in the style of old DConf, and instead we would do a group
introduction thing, then usually break off into smaller
(randomized) work groups to progress a solution to the problem
presented in the talk, then get back together as a whole to
discuss it. (Etc.; there were a few different styles we tried,
but most of them basically followed this basic idea.)

BTW another thing we did is the whole agenda was set up ahead of
time, and there were some pre-reading we could do on the flights
there, so we arrive already familiar with the ideas and might
have some thoughts in mind already. This is analogous to putting
the talks on Youtube first, then talking about it/working on it
in person.

That also happens to be what most people say they like most about
DConf... but at DConf, it happens after-hours, since the main
event is all one talker presenting a powerpoint while everyone
else <strike>surfs the internet</strike> listens intently. At my
work meeting, the whole thing was designed around this in-person
interaction.

That is what Joakim is talking about - changing the main event to
be more like the after-hours stuff everyone loves so much, to
actually use all the time to maximize the potential of in-person
time.