Please don't do a DConf 2018, consider alternatives

bauss jj_1337 at live.dk
Tue Oct 2 17:47:35 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 2 October 2018 at 16:10:20 UTC, Johannes Loher wrote:

> Just to use myself as an example, last Docnf I was able to talk
> to Andrei, Walter, Mike, Ali, Jonathan, Kai and lots of others
> and exchange ideas with them. This would not have been possible
> with a decentralised event (except for the off chance that all
> those people by chance attend the same local „meetup“).

And local decentralized meetups already existing. In fact I'm
co-organizing one here in Denmark.

Similarily there are a lot other local meetups other places
around the world.

DConf is a great way to centralize all those meetups so you get
to meet people from different cultures with different views on
things, because whether you're aware of it or not then
programming is done different in every country, because each
country has their own technological needs, culture etc. and it
shapes very much around that.

Ex. a banking system in America is not the same as a banking
system in Germany.