Please don't do a DConf 2018, consider alternatives

Dejan Lekic dejan.lekic at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 17:13:51 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 3 October 2018 at 16:21:45 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Like most of the responses in this thread, I have no idea why
> you're stumping for in-person interaction, when all my
> suggestions were geared around having _more in-person
> interaction_.
>
> If you're still not sure what I mean, read this long post I
> wrote fisking Adam's similar post:
>
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/eoygemytghynpogvljwb@forum.dlang.org

Perhaps you did not get my point?

- I have nothing against core D team having web-conferences as
much as they please. It is up to them (and they may already have
them?) how they want to communicate.

What I argued about was that, just because some antisocial geek
argues that conferences are "dead" because we have
web-conferencing and similar means of communication does not mean
we all share that opinion... Everyone can record a "talk" with
slides and put it on some video streaming site like Vimeo or
YouTube, but I personally see that as ANOTHER way to reach the
community, certainly NOT an alternative to a well-organised
conference!

Do not get me wrong, I have nothing against the proposal - I
think D community can have both good, annual conference, AND what
web-conferencing between core D devs, and people who would record
talks in their rooms or offices and make them public...