Please don't do a DConf 2018, consider alternatives

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Wed Oct 3 18:46:02 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 3 October 2018 at 17:51:00 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 17:26 +0000, Joakim via Digitalmars-d
> wrote: […]
>> At least look at the first two bullet points in my post
>> responding to Adam, because you're missing the entire point of
>> my suggestions, which is that certain things like talks are
>> better suited to online whereas conferences are more suited
>> for in-person interaction.
>
> In your opinion. In my opinion, online material is a waste of
> time, I never watch YouTube videos, for me it is a waste of my
> time. But that is the point, different people have a different
> view. This doesn't mean I am right or wrong, it means different
> people have different ways of dealing with material.
>
> I like a live presentation that I can then ignore *or* take up
> with a gusto with the presenter, or other people, after the
> session. Conferences allow this. Presentations are an
> introduction to interaction with others. For me. Others prefer
> to consume videos and have no interactions about the material.
> Personal differences.

Except that you can also view the videos at home, then discuss
them later at a conference, which is the actual suggestion here.

> Since there is a population of people who like online stuff,
> then online stuff there must be. As there are people who like a
> live presentation and post session discussion, this must also
> happen. The two are not in conflict.

They are in conflict because the cost of doing it live is much,
much higher. DConf organizers' goal should be to enable the
widest reach at the lowest cost, not catering to off-the-wall
requests from a select few like yourself.

I don't doubt that some are like you and prefer viewing live, but
given how conferences keep dying off and online tech talks are
booming, you're in an extreme minority that prefers that
high-cost live version. That means the market inevitably stops
catering to you, which is why the talk-driven conference format
is dying off.