Please don't do a DConf 2018, consider alternatives

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Thu Oct 4 16:31:54 UTC 2018

On Tue, 02 Oct 2018 14:49:31 +0000, bachmeier wrote:

> I think this is something that could be done *in addition to* DConf. I
> honestly don't think DConf is very effective at promoting D, except
> perhaps to a small sliver of the overall population of programmers, due
> to the content of most of the presentations. {This is not intended to be
> a criticism or a statement that anything about DConf should be changed.}

I'm within 20 minutes of two universities, a private college, and a
community college; with another university 50 minutes away. At least four
have CS departments (I don't know about the community college). With some
sort of big event, I bet I could get space at one of them and get decent
involvement from each school. I'm not in an area where regular meetups
work well, but a one-time/annual large-ish event may get a good response.

If outreach is a current priority, then some sort of decentralized/global
conference in addition to DConf might not be a bad idea.