Interesting Observation from JAXLondon

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Thu Oct 11 13:21:06 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 11 October 2018 at 12:22:19 UTC, Vijay Nayar wrote:
> On Thursday, 11 October 2018 at 11:50:39 UTC, Joakim wrote:
>> On Thursday, 11 October 2018 at 07:58:39 UTC, Russel Winder
>> wrote:
>>> This was supposed to come to this list not the learn list.

>> I doubt D could make a pitch that would be heard, no google
>> behind it and all that jazz. D is better aimed at startups
>> like Weka who're trying to disrupt the status quo than Java
>> shops trying to sustain it, while shaving off some up-front
>> time.
>
> Personally I think this is going to change soon depending on
> what options are available.  The amount of time and money that
> companies, especially companies using Java and AWS, are putting
> in to saving money with Nomad or Kubernetics on the promise of
> having more services per server is quite high.  However, these
> JVM based services run in maybe 1-2GB of RAM at the minimum, so
> they get maybe 4 services per box.
>
> A microservice built using D and vibe.d could easily perform
> the same work using less CPU and maybe only 500MB of RAM.  The
> scale of improvement is roughly the same as what you would get
> by moving to containerization.
>
> If D has the proper libraries and integrations available with
> the tools that are commonly used, it could easily break through
> and become the serious language to use for the competitive
> business of the future.
>
> But libraries and integrations will make or break that.  It's
> not just Java you're up against, it's all the libraries like
> SpringBoot and all the integrations with AWS systems like SQS,
> SNS, Kinesis, MySQL, PostGREs, Redis, etc.
>
> My hope is that D will be part of that future and I'm trying to
> add libraries as time permits.

I'm skeptical of that cloud microservices wave building up right
now. I suspect what's coming is a decentralized mobile wave, just
as the PC once replaced big iron like mainframes and
minicomputers, since top mobile CPUs now rival desktop CPUs:

"the [Apple] A12 outperforms a moderately-clocked Skylake CPU in
single-threaded performance"
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13392/the-iphone-xs-xs-max-review-unveiling-the-silicon-secrets/4

Many of the crypto-coins are trying to jumpstart a decentralized
app ecosystem: someone will succeed.