A Friendly Challenge for D

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:55:36 UTC 2018

On Friday, 12 October 2018 at 16:19:59 UTC, Jabari Zakiya wrote:
> Hmm,I don't think what you're saying about similar
> output|performance with other languages is empirically correct,
> but it's really not the point of the challenge.

Thats why godbolt exists.

c++ and Rust
https://godbolt.org/z/FffXY2
C and D
https://godbolt.org/z/YQvkXU

Look at assembly output. Its all the same. Compilers are very
good at recognizing simple arithmetic computations and can reason
about it. What they struggle with is memory access.

On Friday, 12 October 2018 at 16:19:59 UTC, Jabari Zakiya wrote:
> Finally, a really fast D implementation can be a marketing
> bananza to show people > in the numerical analysis, data|signal
> processing fields, et al, that D can be used by them to solve
> their problems and be more performant than C++, etc

eBay`s tsv-utils is fastest in the world
https://github.com/eBay/tsv-utils/blob/master/docs/comparative-benchmarks-2018.md#top-four-in-each-benchmark

D`s JSON parsing is fastest in the world
https://github.com/kostya/benchmarks#json

Sambamba is BAM data processor and is fastest in the world
https://www.basepairtech.com/blog/sorting-bam-files-samtools-vs-sambamba/

Mir GLAS is faster than OpenBLAS and Eigen
http://blog.mir.dlang.io/glas/benchmark/openblas/2016/09/23/glas-gemm-benchmark.html

There are enough examples but they are not enough to change minds