You don't like GC? Do you?

Stanislav Blinov stanislav.blinov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 20:12:26 UTC 2018

On Friday, 12 October 2018 at 19:55:02 UTC, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

> Freeing your mind and the codebase of having to deal with
> memory leaves it in an easier place to deal with the less
> common higher impact leaks: file descriptors, sockets, database
> handles ect. (this is like chopping down the forest so you can
> see the trees you care about ;) ).

That's done first and foremost by stripping out unnecessary
allocations, not by writing "new" every other line and closing
your eyes.

I mean come on, it's 2018. We're writing code for multi-core and
multi-processor systems with complex memory interaction.
Precisely where in memory your data is, how it got there and how
it's laid out should be bread and butter of any D programmer.
It's true that it isn't critical for one-off scripts, but so is
deallocation.

Saying stuff like "do more with GC" is just outright harmful.
Kids are reading, for crying out loud.