You don't like GC? Do you?

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Sat Oct 13 12:15:07 UTC 2018

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 23:35:19 +0000, Stanislav Blinov wrote:

>>> Precisely where in memory your data is, how it got there and how it's
>>> laid out should be bread and butter of any D programmer.
>>
>> Of any D programmer writing code that's performance sensitive.
>
> All code is performance sensitive. Whoever invented that distinction
> should be publicly humiliated. If it's not speed, it's power
> consumption. Or memory. Or I/O. "Not thinking" about any of that means
> you're treating your power champion horse as if it was a one-legged
> pony.

And sometimes it's programmer performance. Last year I had a malformed CSV
I needed to manipulate; Excel couldn't handle it, and I couldn't (or don't
know how to) trust a Vim macro to do it, so I wrote a small script in D.
My design wasn't even close to high-performance, but it was easy to test
(which was probably my biggest requirement); I probably could have spent
another 30 minutes writing something that would have run two minutes
faster, but that would have been inefficient.

I didn't even keep the script; I'll never need it again. There are times
when the easy or simple solution really is the best one for the task at
hand.