A Friendly Challenge for D

Vijay Nayar madric at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 18:31:57 UTC 2018

On Saturday, 13 October 2018 at 18:14:20 UTC, Vijay Nayar wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 October 2018 at 18:05:45 UTC, Jabari Zakiya
> wrote:
>>
>> It may be also running into a hard time limit imposed on
>> compilation that Nim had/has that prevented my code from
>> initially compiling. I'm generating a lot of PG parameter
>> constants at compile time, and it's doing a lot of number
>> crunching and building larger and larger arrays of constants
>> as the PG's get larger.
>>
>> Try compiling with successive PG's (just P5, then P5 and P7,
>> etc) to see where it fails. That will let you know the code is
>> working correctly, and that the compiler is choking either/and
>> because of a hard time limit and/or memory limit. That's why I
>> put in a compiler output statement in 'genPGparameters' to see
>> the progression of the PG parameters being built by the
>> compiler to initially find when the compiler started choking.
>> You may also need to patch whatever facility in the D compiler
>> chain that controls this too.
>
> It's P17, the biggest one that takes the longest to build in
> the Nim version. I actually don't know what memory limits exist
> for the D compiler at compile-time, so I may need to do some
> homework.

It's not just DMD either.

$ ldc2 twinprimes_ssoz.d
generating parameters for P17
Killed

$ gdc twinprimes_ssoz.d
generating parameters for P17
gdc: internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1d)
Please submit a full bug report,
See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-5/README.Bugs> for instructions.

$ dmd twinprimes_ssoz.d