LDC2 compiling executable requiring elevated privileges?

Laurent Tréguier laurent.treguier.sink at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 07:23:07 UTC 2018

On Sunday, 14 October 2018 at 17:49:11 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Sunday, 14 October 2018 at 15:46:57 UTC, Laurent Tréguier
> wrote:
>> Why should an OS decide whether an executable should be run
>> with admin privileges ? If it has to, then it's up to the
>> developer to explicitly ask for it...
>
> Windows supports programs written as much as 30 years ago. The
> developer might not even be around anymore, yet they try to
> keep the program working. Sometimes that means some weird hacks
> in the OS.
>
> It is really good for the end user.

If it's about old programs, then Windows should apply their hacks
only for old executables. Since it can somehow detect which
compatibility mode to apply in a program's properties, surely it
could decide when to and when not to try weird hacks...

Anyway, I was mostly just ranting about Windows, and I'll always
blindly do that even if anyone tries to reason with me :)