shared - i need it to be useful

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 19:35:25 UTC 2018

On Monday, 15 October 2018 at 18:46:45 UTC, Manu wrote:
> Okay, so I've been thinking on this for a while... I think I
> have a pretty good feel for how shared is meant to be.
>
> 1. shared should behave exactly like const, except in addition
> to inhibiting write access, it also inhibits read access.

Are you familiar with reference capabilities[1] in the pony
language? They describe many of them in terms of read/write
uniqueness. Another way they describe them [2] is in denying
aliases, like deny global read alias.

[1]
https://tutorial.ponylang.io/capabilities/reference-capabilities.html
[2] See page 12-14: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~scd/Pony-WG2.16.pdf