A Friendly Challenge for D

welkam wwwelkam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 21:12:39 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 16 October 2018 at 20:58:54 UTC, Jabari Zakiya wrote:
> And they could be modded to catch semantics like this and
> produce faster code.

Its hard to prove that you will only write 1 or 0 in the array
and even if you write such pass it wont fire very often. So
slower compile times for no gain in common case.

> My guess is the difference in code execution times based on the
> ALU operation pipeline.

and my guess is that CPU knows that its going to write the same
value to memory so it ignores that write.

> I used to know most of these tricks back in the Pentium days,
> but I haven't had a need to keep up with Intel Ixx core chips
> machine|compiler > level instruction optimizations.

Life is too short for such things. Today compilers are good at
optimizing low level stuff. Those decades of improvements add up.