Shared - Another Thread

Patrick Schluter Patrick.Schluter at bbox.fr
Thu Oct 18 12:00:31 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 22:56:26 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> If something might be used by someone else it's better not to
>> touch it, unless one has confirmation it is not used by
>> someone else.
>>
>> This is what shared has to enforce.
>
> Yes.  But how can the compiler statically verify this?  Because
> if it cannot be statically verified, then somewhere along the
> line we have to trust the programmer. Ergo, it's programming by
> convention, and we all know how effective that is.

and that is exactly what shared is currently doing. Adding the rw
restriction at least adds a protection for inadvertantly changing
a shared object, a thing that doesn't exist now.

What cracks me up with Manu's proposal is that it is its
simplicity and lack of ambition that is criticized the most.
shared is a clusterfuck, according to what I gathered from the
forum, I never had yet to use it in my code. Manu's idea makes it
a little less of a clusterfuck, and people attack the idea
because it doesn't solve all and everything that's wrong with
shared. Funny.