Shared - Another Thread

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Oct 18 19:37:24 UTC 2018

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 07:09:42PM +0000, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I often have the impression that a lot of things are going slower than
> necessary because a mentality where the perfect is in the way of good.

That is indeed an all-too-frequent malady around these parts, sad to
say. Which has the sad consequence that despite all efforts, there are
still unfinished areas in D, and promises that haven't materialized in
years (like multiple alias this).

Still, the parts of D that are working well form a very powerful and
comfortable-to-use language.  Not quite the ideal we wish it to be, but
IMO much closer than any other language I've seen yet.  Recently I began
dabbling in Android programming, and the one thing that keeps sticking
out to me is how painful writing Java is.  Almost every day of writing
Java code has me wishing for this or that feature in D.  Slices.
Closures.  Meta-programming.  I found most of my time spent fighting
with language limitations rather than make progress with the problem
domain.  Eventually I resorted to generating Java code from D for some
fo the most painful repetitive parts, and the way things are looking,
I'm likely to be doing a lot more of that.  I fear the way things are
going will have be essentially writing a D to Java compiler at some
point!

D may not be perfect in many ways, but it's still one of the best
languages out there right now, IMO.

Give me some fresh salted fish, please.