Shared - Another Thread

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 21:31:54 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 18 October 2018 at 21:14:54 UTC, Stanislav Blinov
wrote:
> On Thursday, 18 October 2018 at 20:59:59 UTC, Erik van Velzen
> wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Quite a simple reason: it was years ago, however old you are
> now you were younger and less experienced, and probably didn't
> understand something back then.
>
>> [...]
>
> Then I don't know what to tell you. It literally talks about
> compiler forbidding unsafe operations and *requiring* you to go
> the extra mile, by just rejecting invalid code (something that
> Manu is proposing to forego!). But that's *code*, not logic.
>
>> [...]
>
> Tangetially?! There's a whole section on writing `shared`-aware
> code (none of which would even compile today, I don't know if
> it's addressed in his errata).
>
>> [...]
>
> Yeah, some of that never happened and never will. But that
> aside, none of it says "threading will be safe by default". It
> says "threading will be a lot less unsafe by default". And
> *that* is what we must achieve.

The "threading will be a lot less unsafe by default" is related
to the default TLS usage.

I remember like Erik, maybe wrongly, that the ambitions on shared
were more directed  towards the "threading will be safe by
default" goal.

I've to read again some post from Bartosz Milewski...

/Paolo