shared - i need it to be useful

Norm norm.rowtree at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 06:09:07 UTC 2018

On Friday, 19 October 2018 at 02:20:22 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On Thu., 18 Oct. 2018, 7:10 pm Stanislav Blinov via
> Digitalmars-d, < digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 19 October 2018 at 01:53:00 UTC, Manu wrote:
>>
>> > This is a red-herring.
>> > In short, he made up this issue, it doesn't exist.
>> > This is just hot air, and only strengthen my conviction.

>> > You are an obscene person. I'm out.
>>
>> Oooh, I'm soooorry, come baack!
>> Really though, what is it that you wanted to achieve here? You
>> ask for counter-arguments, are given them on *17 pages
>> already*,
>> are asked numerous times to actually demonstrate the value of a
>> small contained portion of your proposal, and all you do is
>> shrug
>> this all off just because you presume to "know better", and on
>> top of that have the audacity to call someone else *obscene*?
>> Wow... just... wow!
>>
>> > You win.
>>
>> I didn't know it was a contest.
>>

> I've given use cases constantly, about taking object ownership,
> promotions, and distribution for periods (think parallel for),
> I can achieve all my goals with full @safety, absolutely no
> casts in user code, and I have infrastructure in production
> that applies these patterns successfully. It's worth pursuing.
>
> I've spent years thinking on this, I'm trying to move the
> needle on this issue for the first time in over a decade at
> least, and you have violently opposed, in principle, from the
> very first post, and make no effort to actually understand the
> proposition.
>
> It's clearly a contest from your insurance that my proposal in
> worthless in every single post you've made. You want me to
> admit defeat and desist. Fuck you. You win. I don't have the
> time or energy to argue against a wall.
>
> You are obscene, you're complete unproductive, and destructive
> from no
> apparent reason.
> I hope you continue to love shared, just the way it is...
> useless.

There's another way; Stanislav isn't one you need to convince so
if that particular discussion is unproductive and disruptive just
ignore it. I.e technical discussions should be robust but once
they become personal just ignore that input and move on. Isn't
always possible I know but in this case I reckon you can.

Convincing Walter, Andrei and the rest of the core dev team of
course will require a DIP.

Keep going on this, it is the first hint of movement with shared
since like foreva!

bye,
norm

bye,