Norwich 2018-11-07

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Fri Oct 19 10:36:57 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 13:15:44 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

> I can definitely see that. I wanted to write a GUI program some
> time ago and looked at GtkD. It wasn't easy to see where to
> start with GtkD, and I eventually ended up running a local web
> server and creating the GUI in the browser. This is a good
> example of the non-technical things holding D back, largely
> because of the small community.

Same here. I once started a GUI program using JavaFX + D (JNI)
and then switched to GtkD + Glade. I could find my way around
(with some difficulty), reading the docs / examples in C and
translating them to GtkD in my head. It worked, but I always had
the feeling of "Is that best practice?". When I re-opened the
project after 2 years or so, I just couldn't be bothered to go
through all that again. I just used my JavaFX code again and
extended the app in no time. It also made me realize a lot of
things about D and its "small community". Something is rotten in
the state of D...

PS No, I won't write GtkD docs myself (may the Universe forgive
me!), because by the eternal DIY logic I would have had to
implement D for ARM, write GtkD docs and whatnot...instead of
using D to actually write programs.