D Binding to GUI libraries

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Oct 20 14:24:56 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 12:43 +0000, tide via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> I mean it *may* work, but that isn't the problem if the
> developers completely lack support for the platform. I can
> download Qt with prebuilt libraries and it works out of the box
> with MSVC. There's an obvious difference between the two
> developers support. As someone else said GTK look like ass on
> Windows, Qt is really the only crossplatform GUI API written in a
> native-compile-able language out there that gets most things
> right.

I do not disagree, especially about GTK+ not really being available on
Windows and macOS, it is fundamentally a Linux and UNIX framework – I
think we can ignore the fact that macOS is sort of FreeBSD in this
circumstance due to macOS.

I'd agree Qt is a much better cross-platform GUI framework that GTK+.
I've use it with Python very successfully – originally with PySide,
then PyQt, but now back with PySide2. I tried QML with Go to move to
native code from Python, but it didn't really work for me as yet,
though some people gave me a few tips a few weeks back that I haven't
followed up on as yet.

wxWidgets seems still to be going though and wxPython is rising as a
phoenix . I haven't really used them though but maybe the latest
version is worth a whirl.

I guess people doing Qt stuff really do work with C++ if they don't
work with Python? I'd call this an opportunity for D. The trick has to
be to automate the creation of the binding. I have to admit I do not
know what the technique is for PySide2 but PyQt certainly has a system
for generation of the binding.

Of course, Rust  https://github.com/rust-qt

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200