Interesting Observation from JAXLondon

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Oct 21 01:12:44 UTC 2018

On 10/12/18 4:05 AM, Vijay Nayar wrote:
> But the D community has also been very receptive of changes
> to the language

The community is. I don't feel like it's been true of the leadership for
some years now (and I don't mean just W&A.)

> One thing that does concern me, is the avenues in which people can
> discover D.  For me personally, after a particularly nasty C++ project,
> I just googled for "alternatives to C++" and that's how I found D back
> in 2009 or so.  But the same search today turns up nothing about D.  I'm
> not sure sure how people are supposed to find D.

This is a VERY important thing, and it's true for many of us (myself
included). This why it was a HUGE mistake when the community decided it
should become taboo to promote D as a redesigned C++. That was ALWAYS
D's core strength, we all know it, that's why many (if not most) of us
are here, and hell, that's literally what D was *intentionally designed*
to be.

But then political correctness came and threw that angle out the window,
in favor of this awkward "fast code fast" nonsense, and we've been
fighting the uphill "I don't understand the point of D" image battle
ever since.