D Binding to GUI libraries [was Interesting Observation from JAXLondon]

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Oct 21 01:25:56 UTC 2018

On 10/20/18 5:25 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 08:52 +0000, Gregor Mückl via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>>
> […]
>> I periodically look at how I can make use of D for small
>> projects. Most often, I shy away because I want to build a GUI
>> and none of the libraries that I can find look mature and well
>> maintained enough to put my faith in. For C++ there's Qt, which
>> is *phenomenally* good (despite some warts), but there's been at
>> least half a dozen attempts at creating D bindings for that, all
>> in various states of completion/negligence.
>
> GtkD works very well for me. But I guess GTK+ has a reputation of not
> working on Windows and macOS.

And KDE.

I've heard a lot of very good things about GtkD, and honestly, I have no
doubts about any of it. Unfortunately though, the main problem with GtkD
is simply GTK itself :(

> D has always had an excellent story in the "connect to C linkage
> libraries", has any of the work in D on C++ linkage over the last few
> years changed the landscape so that a D binding for Qt and QML could be
> as good as the GtkD binding is to GTK+?

I really hope so! No idea personally though :(

What about DWT? It seemed pretty good from what I could tell, though I
still haven't ventured into D GUIs just yet myself. Are there issues
people have with DWT? Or WxD?