Interesting Observation from JAXLondon

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Oct 21 07:02:28 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 21:12 -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> This is a VERY important thing, and it's true for many of us (myself
> included). This why it was a HUGE mistake when the community decided
> it
> should become taboo to promote D as a redesigned C++. That was
> ALWAYS
> D's core strength, we all know it, that's why many (if not most) of
> us
> are here, and hell, that's literally what D was *intentionally
> designed*
> to be.

D became in 2010/2011 what C++ might morph into in 2040?

That D is a better C++ remains an excellent strapline.

> But then political correctness came and threw that angle out the
> window,
> in favor of this awkward "fast code fast" nonsense, and we've been
> fighting the uphill "I don't understand the point of D" image battle
> ever since.

Laeeth can give an angle on the 2018 point of D. But yes, part of my
gripe is that the D community as a whole is not looking to increase the
traction of D in the land of programming. To a great extent nor is C++,
it seems to rely on the past market and the battle cry of "AAA games".
Go, Python, Rust have shown the way in terms of traction. Ruby and Perl
the opposite. I am being drawn more into the Rust milieu and away from
the D milieu exactly because of traction generally. I still prefer
D/GtkD over Rust/gtk-rs (except for one big thing,
channels/futures/executors on the event loop), but with Tilix being the
only major D implemented application out there on Debian and Fedora, D
isn't getting traction.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200