D Binding to GUI libraries

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Oct 21 07:33:45 UTC 2018

On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 21:25 -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> And KDE.

Not entirely true, you can run KDE application on a GNOME system, and I
assume GNOME application on a KDE system.

> I've heard a lot of very good things about GtkD, and honestly, I have
> no
> doubts about any of it. Unfortunately though, the main problem with
> GtkD
> is simply GTK itself :(

The GTK/Qt battle on Linux was won by GTK+2 hence GNOME over KDE as the
default for Debian and Fedora. Whether this was right or wrong is left
as a choice for the reader!

I think GTK+3 is actually really quite nice, somewhat nicer than Qt.
However if D had a Qt binding in play as good as the GtkD binding is to
GTK+, then maybe I could be convinced to use Qt. No way am I going to
use C++ for desktop GUI applications, and Rust is the only other option
just now.

[…]

> What about DWT? It seemed pretty good from what I could tell, though
> still haven't ventured into D GUIs just yet myself. Are there issues
> people have with DWT? Or WxD?

The SWT framework is being replaced with JavaFX, so should D forget DWT
and do something similar? If yes the QtE5 or dqml are the way forward
since the QML engine of Qt is the equivalent of JavaFX.

Putting effort into wxD is the same sort of effort needed for either
qtD or dqt, would it be better to back Qt or wxWidgets?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200