D Binding to GUI libraries

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sun Oct 21 08:15:15 UTC 2018

On 10/21/18 3:33 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-10-20 at 21:25 -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I've heard a lot of very good things about GtkD, and honestly, I have
>> no
>> doubts about any of it. Unfortunately though, the main problem with
>> GtkD
>> is simply GTK itself :(
>
> The GTK/Qt battle on Linux was won by GTK+2 hence GNOME over KDE as the
> default for Debian and Fedora. Whether this was right or wrong is left
> as a choice for the reader!

That's pure nonsense: It's Linux - unless one option actually goes away
(KDE is still actively used and developed), then there's no such thing
as one "winning" over the other.

It IS a big problem that far too many people (mainly developers coming
directly from the Windows world who have decided to half-ass a Linux
port) have decided to erroneously equate "Linux" with "GTK-based DE"
these days, but that's a far cry from saying that GTK/GNOME/Unity "won
out" over Qt/KDE.

> I think GTK+3 is actually really quite nice, somewhat nicer than Qt.
> However if D had a Qt binding in play as good as the GtkD binding is to
> GTK+, then maybe I could be convinced to use Qt. No way am I going to
> use C++ for desktop GUI applications, and Rust is the only other option
> just now.

Programmers writing GUI apps often like GTK. Nobody else does. From a
programmer standpoint, it may very well be nice. But that's irrelevant,
because from the user standpoint, GTK is, and has always been, a
steaming pool of diarrhea, even if you ARE using GNOME/Unity.