D Binding to GUI libraries

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Oct 21 17:29:44 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-10-21 at 12:49 +0200, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 2018-10-21 09:33, Russel Winder wrote:
>
> > The SWT framework is being replaced with JavaFX, so should D forget
> > DWT
> > and do something similar?
>
> Where do you get that idea? SWT (and therefore DWT) is using the
> native
> drawing operations of the OS.

But who apart from Eclipse and JetBrains uses Java for desktop GUI
applications? I do not have Eclipse to check, but the JetBrains IDEs
(at least CLion, GoLand, IntelliJ IDEA, and PyCharm) ship Swing, SWT,
and JavaFX in their systems.

Swing, and I believe SWT, have somewhat old architectures for GUI
frameworks where GTK+, Qt, and wxWidgets have moved on. But this may
just be opinion rather than agreed "fact".

> No, D should not forget DWT. It's one of the few (they only?) D GUI
> toolkit that has a native look and feel.

Apart from GtkD on GTK+ systems, and dqml, QtE5, qtD, and dqt on Qt,
and wxD on wxWidgets. Qt and wxWidgets pride themselves on being able
to use native frameworks underneath – I have no personal evidence as I
only use GNOME, I am not a good data point.

I do know though that a decade ago I was a fan of wxWidgets exactly
because it was a wrapper around native look and feel and better than
Qt. GTK+ doesn't really play that game.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200