D Binding to GUI libraries [was Interesting Observation from JAXLondon]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Oct 21 17:32:26 UTC 2018

On Sun, 2018-10-21 at 12:54 +0200, Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> As has been stated elsewhere, it's working on Windows and macOS but
> looks very alien on macOS. When I was in school I wrote a program
> using
> C# (Mono) and GTK on macOS. GTK seemed to be the best alternative
> (for
> using with Mono) back then. During the development of that program a
> beta or alpha version of GTK was released with support for a native
> main
> menu on macOS, the rest was non-native. Not sure how it looks like
> now.

I tried GTK+ on OSX (*) a few weeks back using all the stuff from
Homebrew. It started an X server, so definitely not native GUI
framework. At least not directly.

(*) El Capitan. Apple in its infinite wisdom has decided my MBP is too
old to have any OS more recent than that.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200