D Binding to GUI libraries

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sun Oct 21 18:24:30 UTC 2018

On 2018-10-21 19:29, Russel Winder wrote:

> But who apart from Eclipse and JetBrains uses Java for desktop GUI
> applications?

There's probably a ton of business/enterprise applications that are
written in Java.

But I don't care for that, that's why I'm using D :)

> I do not have Eclipse to check, but the JetBrains IDEs
> (at least CLion, GoLand, IntelliJ IDEA, and PyCharm) ship Swing, SWT,
> and JavaFX in their systems.

Not sure what you mean with "ship" here. Swing and JavaFX are shipped
with Java.

Eclipse itself is built using SWT.

> Swing, and I believe SWT, have somewhat old architectures for GUI
> frameworks where GTK+, Qt, and wxWidgets have moved on. But this may
> just be opinion rather than agreed "fact".

I haven't use these other frameworks so I don't know what's consider old
architecture and modern architecture.

> Apart from GtkD on GTK+ systems

Linux doesn't have a "native" GUI in the same sense as macOS and Windows.

, and dqml, QtE5, qtD, and dqt on Qt,
> and wxD on wxWidgets. Qt and wxWidgets pride themselves on being able
> to use native frameworks underneath – I have no personal evidence as I
> only use GNOME, I am not a good data point.

Qt is not native, at least not on macOS. Are any of the Qt D bindings
actually useful? wxD seems very old, D1 old, is that useable?

When I said that DWT is basically the only native D toolkit, I failed to
also include: up to date (as in working with the latest compiler),
working and cross-platform.

--
/Jacob Carlborg