shared - i need it to be useful

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Oct 21 21:32:14 UTC 2018

On 10/21/2018 2:08 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/21/2018 12:20 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>> Yes, but the problem you describe is arises from implicit conversion in the
>> other direction, which is not part of the proposal.
>
> It's Manu's example.

Then I don't know what the proposal is. Pieces of it appear to be scattered over
numerous posts, mixed in with other text, opinions, and handwavy stuff. There's
nothing to point to that is "the proposal".

I suggest you and Manu write up a proper proposal. Something that is complete,
has nothing else in it, has a rationale, illuminating examples, and explains why
alternatives are inferior.

For examples of how to do it:

https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/tree/master/DIPs

Trying to rewrite the semantics of shared is not a simple task, doing
multithreading correctly is a minefield of "OOPS! I didn't think of that!" and
if anything cries out for a DIP, your and Manu's proposal does.