shared - i need it to be useful

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 00:54:12 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 5:50 PM Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 10/21/2018 4:12 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:

> >> Then I don't know what the proposal is. Pieces of it appear to be scattered
> >> over numerous posts, mixed in with other text, opinions, and handwavy stuff.
> >> There's nothing to point to that is "the proposal".
> >
> > The proposal is:
> >
> > Implicit conversion _to_ shared, e.g. passing it to a thread entry point, and
> > not implicit conversion _from_ shared (just like implicit const conversions).
>
> That's what I was referring to, and Manu's example. It doesn't work, as I
> pointed out.
>

> >> I suggest you and Manu write up a proper proposal. Something that is complete,
> >> has nothing else in it, has a rationale, illuminating examples, and explains
> >> why alternatives are inferior.
> >
> > We will eventually. This started as a "please point out any problems with this"
> > and has probably outlived that phase.
>
> You'll need to address the issues raised here in the DIP.

Would you please respond to my messages, and specifically, respond to
the code that I presented to you in response to your broken example.
Or any of my earlier fragments throughout this thread. I've shared
quite a few, and so far, nobody has ever produced a criticism of any
of my fragments. They've just been skipped over.
But the one aimed directly at your own most recent sample program
addresses your program directly.