D Binding to GUI libraries [was Interesting Observation from JAXLondon]

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Oct 22 03:22:07 UTC 2018

On 10/21/18 7:36 AM, Andre Pany wrote:

> While talking about bindings, do not forget Delphi. It has still a good
> eco system. Combining Delphi's advanced Runtime reflection capabilities
> with D's advanced compile reflection capabilities opens this eco system.
>
> I created a proof of concept and the results were really promising.
> Using Delphi components is very easy and the wrapper code on D side is
> very thin.
>
> Even clicking together a Firemonkey ui in Delphi and writing all code in
> D works fine.
>
> Delphi is available for windows,  Mac os,  Android and IPhone. Linux
> support is somehow planned. It is free for personal use.
>
> See an example here
> https://github.com/andre2007/delta-fmx-10-2-1/blob/master/examples/gui1/source/app.d
>

> Due to very limited time resources I have no time to work on this
> specific topic at the moment but everyone is free to use these base
> research results.
>
> Side remark: Lazarus (free pascal) is planning to add the same advanced
> Runtime reflection capabilities as Delphi.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'm somewhat ashamed to say I didn't
know Delphi was still around!

For those younger programmers out there, Delphi is a Pascal-based system
that was key in popularizing what we used to call "RAD" tools ("Rapid
Application Development") such as Visual Basic, and the modern
GUI-builder tools they've evolved (or devolved?) into.

I have to admit, I've somehow managed to write code all the way from the
late 1980's through today without ever learning or writing any Pascal.
But I do know Delphi was very respectable back in the day (with a
somewhat Basic-like, but more capable, syntax), so it's nice to know
it's still around and even supports modern mobile, which is really kinda
cool.