D Binding to GUI libraries

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Mon Oct 22 05:58:46 UTC 2018

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 00:41:08 -0400, Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) wrote:
> Ultimately, everything points to the same thing: Those who actually CARE
> about GTK/Gnome/Unity vs Qt/KDE, typically prefer Qt/KDE. The rest are
> just swing votes.

Unity 7 and prior for the desktop use Nux, an OpenGL-based widget toolkit.
Unity 8 and all mobile versions of Unity use Qt. The application set that
Ubuntu shipped with Unity was, I think, heavier on the GTK+ side.

I can't answer for "typical" users, but I've preferred GTK+ since 2005. Qt
applications feel a bit off to me, and the standard themes were all
weirdly bubbly. And while I've used probably a dozen window managers and
at least four desktop environments, I've been on MATE for several years
now.

> As for the distros choice of "which do we make default?", that's really
> no surprise and implies nothing significant: The tech industry's current
> runway-fashion wind direction is clearly "The user should adapt to the
> software", not the other way around. Thus fully explains GTK/GNOME/Unity
> as the gatekeepers' current suggestions. Just like Win/Mac: "Actual user
> opinions: not relevant."

RedHat provides a lot of support and development for GNOME. That makes it
a relatively attractive option for other distros.