D Binding to GUI libraries

Nick Sabalausky (Abscissa) SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Oct 22 07:49:44 UTC 2018

On 10/22/18 1:58 AM, Neia Neutuladh wrote:

> Unity 7 and prior for the desktop use Nux, an OpenGL-based widget toolkit.
> Unity 8 and all mobile versions of Unity use Qt. The application set that
> Ubuntu shipped with Unity was, I think, heavier on the GTK+ side.

Fascinating. I'm actually shocked by this, TBH.

I used to be an Ubuntu user, from back BEFORE Unity, back when Ubuntu
used GNOME 2. My observation and experience had always been that both
Ubuntu and Gnome 2 were trying to be an open-source imitation of OSX.
Then, Gnome moved to v3 (and completely lost its mind) and Ubuntu
responded by switching to its own brand-new still-GTK-based Unity. But
that made Ubuntu feel all the *more* like an OSS OSX-clone, prompting me
to migrate upstream to Debian, and eventually to Manjaro. Meanwhile, I
observed Canonical lead Kubuntu to become nothing but more, and more,
and more obscure and marginalized. And then there was the news of
Canonical starting into desktop spyware territory, and by then I was
already long gone...

So I'm honestly *shocked* to hear this. I NEVER would've guessed. I'm
pretty sold on rolling-release at this point, but I'm intrigued enough
that I'm gonna have to give the latest Ubuntu a try, at least in a VM.
Just to see what's up with this "Qt-based Ubuntu", which to me, is much
like hearing of Mario on a Dreamcast, or Sonic on SNES...