The State of the GUI

dayllenger dayllenger at protonmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:09:24 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 06:20:05 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> [...]

By the way, I develop a fork of DlangUI for a while. It is pretty
raw and doesn't have some important features, has no tutorials
and tooling yet.
https://github.com/dayllenger/atoll

My ideas on its design:
- use CSS for deep visual customization
- there is no fixed set of CSS properties - widgets can define
their own
- mimicry to native controls with several themes
- create few powerful layouts, which will satisfy 99% of demands
- free (with manual positioning), stack (with inline flow), grid
layout (with fixed, percent and automatic sizes, with cell
alignments, with switchable row/column alignments, etc.)
- make a possibility to embed the library into existing
applications, like game engines or games themselves

For now I am collecting information to decide what kind of markup
language to use, or do not use it at all. I don't really
understand necessity of HTML- or QML-like languages in this
situation. They facilitate app development, but wait - design may
be created in Designer tool, and logic is anyway done in the D
language.