Dlist and dip1000 challenge

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Thu Oct 25 00:20:17 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 01:31:33 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 10/23/2018 4:56 PM, Nicholas Wilson wrote:
>> He doesn't need to, I did it for him:
>> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/8504
>> He just needs to review it.
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dlang.org/pull/2453
>
> While I thank and appreciate you for doing this work, and
> especially for taking the initiative instead of just
> complaining, I don't think that modifying a DIP that has
> already been approved is appropriate process. It should be a PR
> against the spec. Approved specs should be immutable.

[...]

With all due respect, why wasn't this brought forward as a
comment on the PR back in August? (And it _is_ a PR against the
spec, is it not?) I feel embarrassed for the image that is being
presented outwards, which is one of central people being
incapable of working together. I don't understand what is going
on; how could the language evolve this far and what has changed?
Do we have too much regulation and procedures or too little?
Isn't Walter's explanation in bugzilla enough this time to review
his PR and keep the language improving while procedures are being
improved on in parallel? I feel like people are keeping a stiff
foot for far too long. Stagnation in development is bad enough,
but this image really hurts me. I count on you, I want you guys
to shine. I see all these talented musicians, but the conductor
is not on his podium.

Come on, friends, you've cracked harder nuts. Please :-)

Bastiaan.