The State of the GUI

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Thu Oct 25 08:47:04 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 23:30:50 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On 10/24/18 4:41 AM, Kagamin wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 06:20:05 UTC, Adam Wilson
>> wrote:
>>> Native toolkits are a dead-end. The future of non-Web UX is
>>> non-native.
>>
>> Last I checked Microsoft bets its money on cloud, asp.net core
>> and typescript. See where the wind blows?
>
> Yes. All of those are server-side technologies. How does that
> relate to a discussion about GUI technologies?

They have corresponding client-side technologies, which are the
GUI. Web is the better solution for all problems you speak about.

On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 06:20:05 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> Another is that in my experience even native toolkits, such as
> DWT, that can be used to build cross-platform interfaces tend
> to produce mixed results. You run into a plethora of minor
> issues surrounding differing Fonts/Paddings/Margins etc. So
> even though the toolkit itself may be cross platform you still
> need to create three separate interfaces to iron out these
> small but noticeable details. Electron and non-native widgets
> solve these problems entirely.

If only web did it right. In theory it can, but in practice it
does it rarely. https://abload.de/img/tmpfzfuo.png is
https://www.webbyawards.com/winners/ - a web design awards site,
see the fonts and margins. And most cheap sites including google
do it like this.