The State of the GUI

Willow me at not.here
Thu Oct 25 08:53:15 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 25 October 2018 at 00:24:42 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On 10/24/18 12:39 PM, drug wrote:
>
> You are both technically correct, but the word "efficiency" can
> be used in two different ways here. Immediate mode can be
> incredibly efficient from a rendering performance standpoint.
> But in general they are much less efficient than retained mode
> from a developer standpoint. So the question is, what kind of
> efficiency is more important?

Having never used retained mode Im struggling to understand how
it's going to result in a vast saving in terms of code you have
to write. I mean somewhere someone has to write the code that
draws the widget, i dont see how immediate mode makes that any
different.

Also I kind of hate the fact that alot of modern apps have such
laggy GUIs, I mean it's seriously fucking pathetic that with all
the silicon we have simple apps like spotify are laggy when
drawing. Even VS Code feels laggy to me.

> My vote is for developer efficiency.

My vote would be choice, if you force one mode or the other then
you will lose people, and you need people, developers and users.

> Most UX's need a minor fraction of what even an Intel GMA 3000
> can pump out, much less that of what a Vega64 or GeForce RTX
> 2080 Ti. I only have a Radeon Pro WX4100 because of the fact
> that it has four DP1.2 outputs in a half-height form factor. I
> certainly never get with a parsec of actually stressing the
> capacity of rendering silicon.

Will all the rendering be on the GPU? My experience is that in a
lot of cases 2D rendering is done on the CPU. Font rendering is
generally still done on the CPU afaik.

> But if I can do something with 10 lines of code over 1000 lines
> of code I will take that option ever single time. My time is
> WAY more expensive than some GPU time.

Ok, so it's retained mode and GPU rendering. A bunch of people
just left the room.

And you seriously think it's 10 lines vs 1000 lines? I'm asking
not criticising since I dont really know how retained mode works
tbh.