The State of the GUI

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Thu Oct 25 14:31:26 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 25 October 2018 at 11:23:27 UTC, Guillaume Piolat
wrote:
> Btw I agree with the assessment that CSS+HTML is where it's at
> currently. It's not that it's best but browsers are about the
> only thing that can display multi-lingual text correctly.

Why would you say that bo toolkits (HTML is no toolkit!) can
render multilingual text? Some of them most definitely can. If
programs fail to support it, it is mostly because some of the
required international work cannot be abstracted away and has to
be performed in a domain-specific way by the application
developer. And that is hard.

And I have to put my foot down hard and tell you that HTML for
desktop UIs is just inadequate and wrong. D as a language is
strongest when performance matters. That includes applications
that need very involved GPU accelerated rendering and
visualizations. Webkit or Blink would imply that WebGL is
required for rendering. And that is a toy API compared to what is
available in DirectX, OpenGL or Vulkan and comes with severe
limitations.