The State of the GUI

Willow me at not.here
Fri Oct 26 11:20:07 UTC 2018

On Thursday, 25 October 2018 at 09:26:38 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> On 10/25/18 1:53 AM, Willow wrote:

> And that is exactly what non-native toolkits provide, you can
> either use the packaged themes that match the DE or you roll
> your own. Custom styling a native widget toolkit is possible
> but significantly more involved.

I mean people should be able to choose immediate mode GUI.

>> Will all the rendering be on the GPU? My experience is that in
>> a lot of cases 2D rendering is done on the CPU. Font rendering
>> is generally still done on the CPU afaik.
>>

> That depends on the API, on Windows you have DirectWrite which
> renders fonts on the GPU.

Does it actually render the fonts on the GPU or does it render on
the CPU and blit them with the GPU?

>> Ok, so it's retained mode and GPU rendering. A bunch of people
>> just left the room.
>>
>> And you seriously think it's 10 lines vs 1000 lines? I'm
>> asking not criticising since I dont really know how retained
>> mode works tbh.
>>

> I don't think. I know. I get paid to do it. :)

Can you not achieve the same and still have immediate mode
graphics? I mean does the technology that saves all the coding
actually require the gui be retained mode?