The State of the GUI

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:13:59 UTC 2018

On Friday, 26 October 2018 at 11:35:26 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 October 2018 at 19:28:44 UTC, Abdulhaq wrote:

>> BTW, an aside, I was very surprised that for a large family of
>> applications, JavaFX is even better than Qt.
>
> In what way? (I never used Java).

What I like about JavaFX is the way that the window is
constructed with a scene graph. Each Node in the scene graph can
have, as you might expect, a 3D transform applied to it. Nodes
can be widgets, meshes etc. A rich implementation of CSS can be
applied to each node allowing good visual customisation.

Combine that with a pretty decent UI construction tool and you've
got a great platform for developing more modern UIs (modern
widgets, animations, visual effects etc.).

Java itself (JDK8) is a totally different beast from the much
hated early versions, and provides a very rich platform (decent
language + great libraries and excellent tooling) with excellent
build facilities. Hard to believe, I know, but as a development
experience it's very good.