synchronized - shared but actually useful

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:21:50 UTC 2018

ping

On Tuesday, 23 October 2018 at 08:56:39 UTC, FeepingCreature
wrote:
> Disadvantages:
> * inability to generate giant forum debates (fingers crossed)

I consider the point proven, but the downside of being unable to
generate giant flamewars is that you eventually drop off the
frontpage.

I really think the shared viewpoint on thread-owned data and how
to move data from thread to thread is very alien to how thread
safety is handled in practice. In practice, a lot of data is
shared; I would argue a large fraction of *all* mutable data is
shared, and access is protected using synchronization in the
owning class. That is, objects, not threads, are the owners and
overseers of mutable data.

Whatever solution for thread safety we arrive at should account
for this.