The State of the GUI

Thomas Mader thomas.mader at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 11:27:57 UTC 2018

On Wednesday, 24 October 2018 at 06:20:05 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
> I firmly believe that a non-native, cross-platform, UX library
> will open D up to a whole new market of users that are
> desperate for something better than what they have now.

We seem to share similar opinions when it comes to UI libs.
I need to say that I don't have any experience with WPF but
mostly with Qt, SWT and a little GTK and Swing.

Conrod [1] is something that goes into that direction and you
might be interested in it if you haven't heard about it.
I found it because I once was interested if someone is working on
a lib in a compiled language featuring reactive programming with
a modern Vulkan backend and without any web technologies.

[1] http://docs.piston.rs/conrod/conrod/guide/chapter_1/index.html

I don't have any practical experience with the reactive pattern
as of yet but it seems to be a good thing.

Even though we share similar opinions I have some questions.

1) How do you expect to find 5 people who are working for at
least 5 years as fully committed full time developers without
payment?

2) Let's say the project is successful and offers advantages to
other UI libs and the web stack but dlang still hasn't got any
major momentum and backing.
Many might not consider the UI lib as a good candidate just
because of that reason. Why do you think this UI lib might change
the perception of dlang?