Can we have ucent ?

Basile B. b4.temp at gmx.com
Tue Oct 30 19:53:26 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 at 18:23:59 UTC, Stanislav Blinov
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 October 2018 at 18:07:23 UTC, Basile B. wrote:
>
>> I think that the feature could be implemented as compiler
>> special functions that would be located in druntime...
>
> Umm, no, thank you very much. It's bad enough that array
> operations have to go through druntime. Arithmetic types have
> no business being there whatsoever.

Yes but some operations don't have a matching instruction, for
example even on x86_64, shifting requires recent BMI2
instructions because standard SSE integer shifting is done by
step of 8 bits only, hence you have to implement the stuff in a
specific functions giving an AST that's maybe a bit too complex
to be generated by the compiler.